Regardless of its source, almost 50 percent of people with foot ailments choose over-the-counter products for relief, while 25 percent do nothing. One increasingly popular alternative to chasing away foot pain is with cannabidiol (CBD) products. Recent studies have found that hemp-derived CBD creams applied at the site of discomfort significantly reduced joint swelling and soothed painful feet without adverse side effects. That’s great news for those managing foot pain but how does it work?
HOW CBD WORKS
Hemp-derived CBD or Cannabidiol, interacts directly with receptors in our endocannabinoid system. Also known as the ECS, the endocannabinoid system is a network of receptors responsible for regulating vital functions such as sleep cycles, inflammatory response, and stress levels.
The action of CBD oil on the ECS has a full-body effect that may also help manage foot problems due to its anti-inflammatory and pain-reducing properties. Hemp-derived CBD isolate also has the added benefit of providing temporary relief without the intoxicating side effects often associated with full spectrum CBD products containing THC. Using CBD oils daily to enhance overall wellness and applying CBD creams directly to the source of painful feet and ankles can provide immediate soothing for five common foot problems.
5 COMMON FOOT PROBLEMS
Of the countless conditions classified as foot ailments, some of the most common are described below along with suggestions for how CBD Oils and Creams may help address the discomfort and inflammation that accompany these issues.
1. Achilles Tendinitis and or Tendonitis– is an injury of the Achilles tendon that connects the calf muscles of the lower leg to your heel bone. It’s a common injury among runners who overdo it during training and among people who run moderately but are in not-so-good shape.
Achilles tendinitis pain typically begins as a dull ache in the calf and or the back of the leg. At times, it can intensify if there is not enough time given for the injury to heal or if the tendon tears, which would then require special medical attention. The soothing properties of hemp-derived CBD cream may reduce discomfort and inflammation which with proper rest may help with healing.
2. Diabetic neuropathy- is a type of nerve damage that can occur with diabetes. High blood sugar (glucose) can injure nerves throughout your body. Diabetic neuropathy most often damages nerves in your legs and feet. Diabetic neuropathy can cause a wide range of serious foot problems, such as ulcers, infections, deformities, and bone and joint pain. Diabetic neuropathy is a serious complication of diabetes that affects up to 50 percent of people with the condition. In addition to people who have diabetes, the substantially overweight, smokers or people who have kidney disease are also at risk for diabetic neuropathy. Hemp-derived CBD oils used daily may help with pain management, inflammation management and neuroprotection of the foot, while CBD creams applied at the source of pain offer immediate soothing.
3. Gout- is a form of arthritis resulting from a buildup of excess uric acid in the bloodstream. Uric acid crystals eventually form in the joints, especially around the big toe and cause swelling and intense pain.
The tendency to experience a gout attack can be an inherited trait but it can also be brought on by high blood pressure, diabetes, obesity, surgery, chemotherapy, stress and certain medications. Limiting consumption of certain foods and drinks may reduce your chances of getting gout. Limiting or avoiding shellfish, organ meats (kidney, liver, etc.), red wine, beer, and red meat are good ways to start. Hemp-derived CBD oil applied under the tongue daily may help with managing discomfort and inflammation of the foot and joints.
4. Heel Pain, Plantar Fasciitis- Plantar fasciitis is one of the most common causes of heel pain. Almost one third of US adult respondents to a recent survey cited heel pain as the primary source of their foot pain. Heel pain happens when inflammation occurs with a thick band of tissue that runs across the bottom of your foot and connects your heel bone to your toes (plantar fascia). Plantar fasciitis most commonly occurs in people with high arches or flat feet. It can also happen to people who spend long hours on their feet without the proper supportive footwear. Anti-inflammatory and soothing properties of CBD may help to manage the symptoms as well as to suppress the inflammation that causes the pain.
5. Neuroma – is a painful condition, also referred to as a “pinched nerve” or a nerve tumor. It is a benign growth of nerve tissue frequently found between the third and fourth toes. It brings on pain, a burning sensation, tingling, or numbness between the toes and in the ball of the foot. The most common cause of neuroma is wearing ill-fitting shoes, high heels or shoes with a tapered toe box. Most mild neuromas can be managed with padding, orthopedic devices or modifying your activities that put pressure on your feet. CBD oils and topical hemp-derived CBD creams can help with pain management, inflammation management and neuroprotection.
Our feet have 25 percent of all the bones in our bodies – 52 bones in all. With 33 joints, 107 ligaments, and 19 muscles and multiple tendons holding everything together, the foot is susceptible to a variety of injuries and ailments likely to cause pain and immobility. Hemp-derived CBD oils and CBD topical creams have been shown to have beneficial properties lessening the severity of inflammation and pain.
When pain and inflammation can’t be alleviated by taking off shoes and kicking your heels up, CBD oil and CBD topical products may provide relief in a more holistic, natural way without the side effects of over the counter and prescribed medications.
Originally posted by Certified Foot & Ankle Specialists Inc.